5 blade propellor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Anne,

The standard of the photograph that we have seen earlier on this forum is fine but I would need one showing the complete prop including all six tips and also close ups of the hub and any data thereon. I am quite happy to come and take these myself because I might discover something by looking at the prop and because I feel a touch ill at ease by intruding on you and your contact in Somerset.

I'd also quite like to meet you and see your photographs!

Oh! And an afternote; I forgot to mention that Comper Aircraft became the Heston company. The name and ownership changed but the assets including staff and buildings continued.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Thanks for your message. I am still waiting to hear if my friend will be able to fit the prop in his son's van! It is a difficult thing to move . As soon as I know for sure I will let you know. It seems to be taking a long time, sorry about that.

Comment

Thank you Anne.

Bob
        Bob Gardner

Comment

At Last!

With any luck and a following wind the prop will be with us on Wednesday, June 8th! Will let you know when it is safely here.

Comment

Thank you Anne. I look forward to seeing photos of the complete prop and of any data on the hub. I anticipate going to the South Coast this week so could call in and see you and the prop if I may?

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Yes that would be fine. Will give you details to find us when the prop is safely home!

Comment

Home at last!

Hi, We have got the prop safely home today. It does have markings on the hub. They are G W &Co. No. 505 110HP Gyro. Is this of interest? I have also found some very interesting old photos which you may like to see but I stupidly left them behind! It has been a stressful day! However I am having them sent on to me by registered post but am not sure when they will arrive. I would be very pleased to see you if you still would like to see the prop and photos. I havn't been able to replace my camera yet so bring yours if you want to take pictures. Anne.

Comment

Good Evening Anne,

Wonderful news. This will be one of the props that King George V was shown in December 1917. GW indicates Grahame-White. How marvellous that it has survived. I shall come and photograph it next week if I may? And your photographs. Could you let me know your address and phone number by email please.

110hp indicates the type of engine (a French rotary engine). I don't know what type of aircraft a gyro is but I'm sure some research will provide the answer. There was much experimentation with helicopters at this time, none of which worked.

Thank you for rescuing this historically important prop.

With kind regards,

Bob
                  Last edited by Bob Gardner; 06-09-2011, 02:59 PM.
                  Bob Gardner

Comment

A fascinating thread. Thanks to Bob and Ann for keeping us updated.

Looking forward to developments.

Comment

Originally posted by VISCOUNT View Post
                      A fascinating thread.
                      I agree. I too am looking forward to developments.

Comment

Hi,

This thread is to become one of the best of this forum. Many, many thanks to Ann for having posted this one, and to Bob to have find so much interesting data! This prop has to enlight one of your next books!

Just a suggestion: there was a "Gyro Motor Co" (from USA) which made a 110HP engine (see Flight, 1914 September 25, p.979 for a 80HP and 1915, May 7 for a 110HP).

EDIT: And this could be in better relation with the markings: "SINCE the Gyro motor was first introduced in this country little has been heard of it. It now looks as if visitors to Hendon may have an opportunity of again listening to its healthy bark, as we understand that a new one of 110 h.p. is expected to arrive shortly, when it will be fitted to a Grahame-White scout."(Flight, 1916, September 14, p.794).

Best regards,
                        PM
                        Last edited by pmdec; 06-08-2011, 08:07 PM. Reason: Find another case.

Comment

I visited Anne on Thursday to see the prop and enclose two photographs.

The hub is marked for the GW Co Ltd which confirms that it was made by the Grahame-White Company and that this is therefore the type of prop that was shown to King George V on his visit to the company during WW1.

The prop is laminated and made of walnut. The blades are very slender. There is ovality in the bolt holes which suggests it is a flown example although there are no witness marks from a hub plate. I could not see how the prop had been constructed. My guess is that it was made from three laminated planks lapped at the hub. There is now a contraction crack on the hub between each blade root.

Three of the blades show marks where several small coat hooks were attached. Anne recalls that when she was a little girl the prop stood in the hall of her house and she hardly ever saw it because it was always covered by coats and scarves.

There is minor wood loss to several blades through the normal wear and tear of nine decades.

I have not yet done any more research on the Gyro engine. Thank you Pierre Michel for discovering the Flight Archive links.

I also discovered that Anne's father, James Graham, was an inspector with the British Aeroplane Inspection Department from 1915 and that, judging by his photograph album, he was primarily based in Cricklewood, London with the British Nieuport Company who primarily made Sopwith Camels under contract. After the war he became the manager of the first Sky-writing company which used several war-surplus but brand-new SE5A aircraft. They achieved considerable fame in the USA and in Germany.

He then moved to the Comper Co who made the Comper Swift and remained when that company become the Heston Aviation Co. During WW2 they became a civilian repair depot for damaged RAF aircraft.

With kind regards,

Bob
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Bob Gardner; 06-18-2011, 02:03 PM.
                          Bob Gardner

Comment

Thanks for the follow up, Bob.

What's to become of the prop now?
                            Dave

Comment

Dave,

It is not really for me to speak on Anne's behalf but I believe that she wishes to keep the prop in the family at the moment. It was her father's property and she grew up with it and has only recently been reunited with it after the death of her sister. I'm writing a description to be kept with the prop so that future generations of her family know that the prop is of national importance.

With kind regards,

Bob
                              Bob Gardner

Comment

Nice job on your part, Bob.

And I'm happy to see it being kept in her family.
                                Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X