Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Affixing cloth sheathing to wooden props.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affixing cloth sheathing to wooden props.

Good Day,
    I'm interested in trying my hand at replicating an early wooden propeller and am wondering how cloth sheathing was initially afixed to the wood prior to adding the finish varnish coats? Was the cloth a type of doped fabric such as they used on the airframes? I believe there was some shrinking envolved with those doping processes. I have a question about metal sheathing as well but will hold off on that until ya'll've had the opportunity to respond to this one.
    Lastly, a public "thank you" to Dave for working out my registration problem. It's nice to be on the forum. Thanks Dave! ghaun

I may have some information about that in my files at home, which I won't have access to for a few days, but if it's just for display purposes, I know that you can just use regular wood glue with cotton fabric and it will shrink sufficiently to look fine before painting. Most of the fabric I've seen was applied with the seam at the trailing edge then a thin strip of fabric glued along the entire edge of the previously applied layer.

Comment

Working...
    X