Propeller info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller info?

I recently purchased a half dozen older wood props at an auction. Most are American and seem to be before 1920. This one is about 99 inches long with 8 bolt holes that seem to match the sizes of a Le Rhone 80 hp (from what I garnered on your great site) But I thought it appears French? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
    Jeff
    Attached Files

It's very definitely French, made by Regy for a Nieuport X aircraft. The "SFA" stamp is an inspector's stamp that appears all over wooden products approved for aircraft and stands for "Society Aeronautic Fabrique" or something to that effect.

It would have originally had Regy decals on each blade. It's unfortunate that it's been refinished and that the hub has been cut out. In original condition it would be quite rare and more valuable.

Please post any other propeller photos that you're willing to share. Often these "found clusters" of old props contain some great finds.

I've attached a scan from a 1918 AEF publication which shows the "Serie 155" propeller listed along with confirmation of the Nieuport X ("Nie") and the LeRhone 80 hp engine.

On the Wikipedia site, this photo almost certainly shows a Regy propeller on the Nieuport.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks SO much for the information! At first I thought someone might have put a clock in this, but based on the chisel marks I'm more inclined to believe they had a hard time getting it off the plane?
      I've attached photos of some others I have. Based on my research it seems most were used on Jenny's. I can send photos of markings. The scimitar shaped one has barely legible decals.
      I'll also send a photo of a 10 ft. prop that I think was used on Curtiss Flying boats, and photos of some of these markings if interested.

Jenny propeller with black hub.jpg

Jenny black hub propeller 1050.jpg

Jenny scimitar antique propeller 1050.jpg

jenny j4 propeller antiqued 1050.jpg

Comment

It wouldn't be possible to chisel the prop that way in order to remove the hub because the metal hub would block any access to the chisel in the first place. I'm certain that it was chiseled out to accommodate a clock or similar item, like a barometer. When these props were acquired, they weren't worth much, so people had little hesitation to use them as clock frames and to "refinish" them to expose and highlight the woods that were used to make them. Unfortunately.

The scimitar shop is almost certainly a Paragon (American Propeller Manufacturing Company) and the remnant of the decal should match one like this. They were designed for an OX5 engine on a Curtiss JN4. Hundreds of them turned up as surplus, and sold for $3 each in the 1920s. The last picture looks like a "toothpick" style prop also used on an OX5 engine, most likely for the Curtiss Jenny (JN4) as was the scimitar prop.

Anything you can provide about what was stamped on any of them would be helpful. The first photo is of an "integral" prop where the hub taper was incorporated in the prop itself. I would need to see stampings on that and probably a photo of the decals to guess what it might have been used on.

Comment

HI jsimple3,
          If you would like to sell any of your propellers I can be reached at msprior02@gmail.com.
          Thanks, Scott

Comment

Sorry I took so long to reply. Dang work gets in the way . Here's some other photos. This one is a 10 ft. long prop...maybe a Curtis Flying Boat prop? It's wrapped almost entirely in canvas with metal edging.
            Attached Files

Comment

Just by its appearance it looks like a Liberty engine prop. It also looks like it may be stamped "Lawson C2", in which case it's almost certainly from this plane.

It's certainly in nice shape for a prop that's probably close to 100 years old.

Comment

Working...
              X