Bought 2 propellers today!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought 2 propellers today!!

Hey guys I bought 2 propellers today and I'm very excited about them!
    Here are a few pics.
    One dated Mar 1942 Avro Anson
    the other Mar 1943 Kinner B5 which is probably a Fleet finch.
    Any help appreciated!
    Attached Files

Nice.

That's some paint job on one of them . . .
    Dave

Comment

Do you think the wings were factory installed???
      I noticed on the hub it says RCAF!
      Good home town prop for me!!

Comment

No, I think those were painted on sometime later. I have seen a lot of factory propellers but never one with painted wings on the hub.
        Dave

Comment

The blue ring around the hub says
          "Per Ardua Ad Astra".

What Does Per Ardua Ad Astra Mean?
          Answer
          'Per ardua ad asrta' is a phrase of Latin origin which means 'through adversity to the stars' or 'through struggle to the stars'. Its first use was in 1912 by the newly formed Royal Air Corps. Today, it is the motto of various Commonwealth air forces and the royal air force. Several societies and learning institutions also use it as their motto.

Comment

I think the decals are original after some investigation.
            If you look closely at the picture below the manufacturer stamps for the prop are on top of the decal which means the decal was there first????
            This could be interesting.....
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks like the opposite to me. The stamps were already there and then painted over afterwards. I think that is more likely hand painted rather than a decal.

Notice also that the gold lettering and blue background around the hub, which is almost certainly not a decal, are the same colors as the wing.
              Last edited by Dave; 01-16-2014, 11:46 AM.
              Dave

Comment

Here's a pic on the other side.
                If you look closely at the SS - SS, the third S is clearly stamped over the decal or paint. I'm just having fun with this but at the same time trying to figure it out.
                Thanks for the input
                Brian
                Attached Files

Comment

Agreed! Its tough to tell...
                  Just fun to try and figure out..

Comment

It looks to me too like it was painted over the stamping.

Lamar

Comment

S & S appreciation

Only because I own two of the S & S props made for avro ansons, let me say BRAVO on your recent buys that you made, well done sir.

Now you can see the quality and workmanship that S & S crafted. While these are not rare props, in my opinion, they really do fill the bill as far as what a vintage " airscrew " should look like, but again I am biased in my opinion, no doubt.

Purely as a number to see how the market is doing, may I inquire as to what you paid for them either as a pair or as individual buys? It will help those that are new to this addiction, out there to get a recent number, to give an idea of what to expect.

Granted, every deal is different, but I am curious what you paid for them. Again, thanks for posting on this site and sharing your recent purchases.

Sincerely,
                      Dennis Hicklin
                      Seattle Washington
                      Attached Files

Comment

I received these props from a real gentleman. He also passed on some real interesting history on some of his items that he has collected over the years.
                        He collects RCAF items and sold these to me for a very reasonable price that I was very happy with.
                        The Anson was $650 and the Fleet was $750.
                        Thanks for all the help and input!

Comment

Working...
                        X