Heine 120 ps 6 cyl. Merce d265 st158

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heine 120 ps 6 cyl. Merce d265 st158

Good afternoon, it is a beautiful an mostly intact old Heine Propeller with the stamps 120 PS 6 CYL. MERCE D 265 ST 158 HEINE N. 8218. But it is 2.67 Meter long. It also has stamped GEPRÜFT P&W2, and STAND 1250, an ...ÜFT ...ABT2. I think this is an original Heine prop from around 1914.
    I found out that it could have flown with a Mercedes D.II and later with an Argus As II (both 6 cyl. with 120 HP).
    Can anybody help with finding THE airplane it flew?
    Is the propeller original?
    ST for STEIGUNG, is 158 possible or 188?
    Can anybody tell the age from the Number 8218?
    It looks like somewhen in the past, it was sanded slightly?
    I am new to the forum and hope my text and the two fotos arrive in the forum.
    Thank you for any helpful information. Andreas
    Attached Files

Hi Andreas,

I moved your post to the “Identifcation” category. Hopefully Bob Gardner will notice it there and reply.

Dave

Comment

Thank you Dave

Hello Dave, thank you for your information and transfer of my post.
      Andreas

Comment

You're welcome and I hope Bob can help with further identification.

It does look "original" to me, at least vs. "reproduction" and I agree that the original varnish has been removed. Since that's already been done, I would go ahead and apply a few coats of high quality shellac on it to protect it from deterioration. Shellac can be easily removed with alcohol if you want to go back to its present condition, but even re-varnished it's a very nice display piece, and since early Heine propellers did not have decals the casual observer would have trouble recognizing its change in properties. (A collector should be able to tell very quickly, however, and that's why propellers in fully original condition are considerably more valuable - and considerable more rare.)

Comment

Greetings Andreas,

Props for the Argus AS II 120ps engine were made by several makers;
          Axial
          BFI Rahtjen
          Heine
          Integral
          Walther
          Wotan

I have recorded a prop of these dimensions on;
          a Gotha WD7 of the Imperial German Navy, but your prop is not from a naval aircraft.
          a Halberstadt DV of the Flying Troops of the German Emperor's Kingdom.

The Halb DV came into service in 1916.

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Is any body out there?

Andreas,

Any comment on my reply of a week ago? It takes fifteen to thirty minutes to research and answer an email such as yours and I do hope that you find the info I found for you useful.

I would also, out of curiosity, appreciate your advice on why so many people like you, for whom I undertake research do not think to thank me? Is it perhaps a consequence of the remoteness of the computer interface? Possibly the people who ask me for help in identifying a prop regard my reply as something innate, and thus would no more thank me than would thank a clock for telling them the time, or Google for an enlightening reply.

Dave,

The joy I once had researching prop data for people has worn so thin that I am on the verge of leaving my post on this forum of a researcher. I spend a several hours each week researching and replying, which amounts to many hours a month. It has become, quite literally, a thankless task.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Bob,
              Please don't be down hearted by this typical human nature.
              I regularly look here because I find the information you and the other (two?) post fascinating and informative.
              It would be a great loss to this small community.

Anybody else agree?

Comment

I with you, Bob. I don't really know what to do about it, since it's just an unfortunate side of human nature.

Occasionally there are valid reasons for people not to respond, but I'm afraid the typical reason is simple apathy.

I'm having trouble bringing myself to the point of making it a "pay to play" arrangement, but that may be the only way to keep going.

Sad.

Comment

Thank you for your support JR44! I very much appreciate it. But I am utterly tired of thirty to sixty minutes of research receiving little or no response. And I am at a loss to understand it. Is it because, as my analogy suggests, people don't expect to thank Google, so why thank me?

The only reason I'm still here is that if I let Dave down, I'd feel even worse.

With kind regards,

Bob
                  Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
                  X