Help to identify propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to identify propeller

Hi everyone, I have a 4 blade propeller that has the following identification numbers on it

DRG CD 40597A
    SER NO 4668

It also has a small round logo with circle and inside circle A73

Can anyone give me more information on this propeller?

Thanks for your help!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by nl77621; 03-28-2014, 08:52 AM.

It's certainly an unusually high drawing number, especially if it's WW1 era. I certainly don't recognize it offhand. Do you have a full picture of the prop?
    Dave

Comment

Hi Dave, thanks very much for your help! I've posted some more pictures let me know what you think.

Thanks again

Comment

How long is it from tip to tip? I think that's an auxiliary prop of some kind, usually for generating electric power. The 4 hole hub virtually eliminates its use on standard aircraft engines.

Bob Gardner may be able to refine it futher. He drops in here from time to time.
        Dave

Comment

wallpaperman

hello,
          I am from Finland and bought this Astra propeller from Estonia at 1992.

PS 185 B
          D 305
          S 172

Lenght is 305 cm
          Blade wide is 29 cm
          hub is 23 cm
          hub hole is 8,7 cm
          4 boltholes

Matti Parkkila, Wallpaperman

Comment

Hello Finland!

Astra props are comparatively rare. The serial number of yours, 8095, is the latest I have recorded which suggests your prop was made in the latter half of 1918. Two Astra props are recorded for the NAG 185ps engine powered DFW CV, although they had a diameter of 2950mm and a pitch of 1850mm compared with yours of 3050mm and 1720mm respectively, so you should regard this attribution as possible rather than probable.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
            X