Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Prop

Folks

I have been loaned a propellor by av95 year old friend of mine, GA (Peter) Lloyd. He has asked me to help him restore it such that he can donate it to an organisation. It looks wooden but also appears to be a composite in places. The markings on the main plate are

DRG NO
    228528 1
    Pegasus II M2
    D10.25 P8 90

The secondary plate states

SEP 1937
    53270B

There are two small circular metal raised buttons - the left hand one seems to say

A

The writing on the right button is indistinguishable.

I'd be grateful for any information on this propellor or advice where I can gain further information.

Thanks

Greg

The closest match that might be related to that one is one listed on this chart which shows a 4 bladed prop and the 4th digit is a "9" instead of a "5", but the engine matches and the diameter and pitch are close, so it might have been designed to use on a Supermarine Walrus with the Pegasus engine.

Does it look as if there might have been two other blades that were milled away? I've seen props that were cut down like that to be able to transport them. Also, could the "5" have actually been a "9"?

Comment

Photos of plaques from Australian Prop

I have attached two photos of the plaques - the "5" is definitely a "5" - it's a two bladed prop but I haven't got the expertise to say whether it had two other blades milled away but it doesn't look like it.
      Grateful for your response and any other thoughts you might have
      G
      Attached Files

Comment

Just a guess, but I suspect that the "5" drawing number version is in fact a 2 bladed prop designed for the same aircraft, perhaps for testing purposes and never put into actual service. That might explain the slightly larger diameter and higher pitch marked on yours.

With the huge number of drawing numbers of various props, it's hard to dismiss the nearly exact match of numbers, engine, and approximate size.

Can you post a picture of the entire prop?

BTW, I wouldn't "restore" it in any way unless it's been refinished in the past, in which case it doesn't much matter, but if it's in its original condition it's VERY important to keep it that way.

Comment

1/4 photos of Pegasus propellor

Had to send the 4 photos individually as the forum didn't let me add all four at once
          G
          Attached Files

Comment

2/4

Photo 2/4 of the prop
            Attached Files

Comment

3/4

Photo 3/4 of the orop
              Attached Files

Comment

4/4

Photo 4/4 of the prop
                Thanks for the advice about restoration - apart from wiping it down, we haven't done anything to the prop
                G
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm wondering if it's half of a 4 blade combination. I'm not sure how much of that is original, and I haven't seen that structure before, but there are a number of 4 blade props that are made from 2 separate two blade props that either interlock or are just stacked one in front of the other. The relatively thin hub on yours suggest that, and perhaps the "+" shaped structure is designed to interlock.

Comment

Dave,

You are quite correct!

The prop is probably from a Supermarine Walrus which used two thin 2x blade props to make a four blade prop.

With kind regards,

Bob
                    Bob Gardner
                    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Bob, do you know the origin of the "5" instead of "9" in the drawing number?

Comment

Working...
                      X