12 foot propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 foot propeller

I haven't been able to find out anything about my propeller. It is 12 feet long, made out of mahogany and has the numbers 3790 and a small stamp that is hard to read. I think it is a 5 OR or S OR. i would appreciate any help. I am moving an thinking about selling it and would like to know about how much it is worth. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Not much to go by, and it looks as if it's been stripped of its original varnish, so there isn't a lot of high value.

It may have been designed to use on an airship, although there were a few aircraft that used props that long.
    Dave

Comment

12 foot propeller

Thank you for the info. I kind of thought it might be an air ship also. Do you have any idea of a ball park number that it might be worth?

Comment

I would guess its "value" is in the $400 to $500 range, but how much it would sell for on someplace like eBay is anyone's guess. Lack of identification of its use and stripping of its original varnish are huge reduction factors in value. Also, if it's an actual 12 foot length, it's too long to ship via FedEx and you'd need to use freight or local pickup, which also makes it a less attractive buy.
        Dave

Comment

In which country do you live, Gilby?

The prop looks to be of British design and manufacture.

The number 3790 might well be the diameter in mm, which would equate to twelve feet and four inches. A number of British aircraft had propellers of this diameter around the end of WW1, such as the Handley Page V/1500 and the various Fairey sea planes. The prop on the Fairey Campania had a drawing number of FA 5004. Your number 5 OR might also be the airworthiness stamp. Does it occur in a stamped box smaller than your finger nail, with the letters AID above it? (where AID indicates the Aeronautical Inspection Department.)

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Note that it's a left hand thread, unlike the majority of wooden propellers used on typical tractor configurations.

It's also a very unusual method of stamping the number (3790) across the face of the leading edge next to the hub. And it looks more like it was stenciled on rather than stamped.
            Dave

Comment

'Evening Dave,

Most of these large twelve foot props were fitted to Rolls Royce Eagle VIII engines and almost all of them were LHT, with only one or two with RHT. The Fairey Campania was a twin engine float plane and might have had both RH and LH props to counteract swing on take off.

With kind regards,

Bob
              Bob Gardner

Comment

12 foot propeller

I live in the Los Angeles area. Thanks for the Information. I am going to take a closer look at the numbers and stamp and see if I can get a better picture and determine how they are made. The numbers kind of look like they were branded in not like an ink type stamp.

Comment

12 foot propeller

Thank you for all your info Bob and Dave. I went on line and found a picture of a plane that could have had my prop on it. I think it was a Fairey sea plane. I have been very busy since the last post but I did get a picture of the stamp that I thought I would send to see if it means anything to you all.
                  Thanks again so much for your kind help with this puzzle.DSCN0535.jpg

Comment

Living in LA reduces the likelihood of it being British but a smattering of British props do find their way to all parts of the globe. I don't recognise the stamp in your photo. Hopefully Dave will be able to connect it with an American maker.

With kind regards,

Bob
                    Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
                    X