Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DH4 propellor ID

Hello,
    I have a hub of a propellor that was made into clock and handed down by my late grandfather. He flew a DH4 in WW1. Family history says that the prop hub was from his shot down plane (DH4 A7422).
    I am certain it will be a DH4 prop, but would like to see if anyone can help with the markings on the hub its self.
    The numbers look like: G41N70, it could also be G41N76 or G41N7G
    I am attaching some photo's although you can barely see the numbers on the side profile picture.
    Thanks Mike Miller
    Attached Files

Those are production numbers (similar to serial numbers) and Bob Gardner, who posts here from time to time, has a pretty good idea of the time frame involved with the specific stampings. That information might be included in his newer book, which I have not yet received.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for the information

Hi Dave thanks for the information, I shall look out for his book.

kind regards

Mike

Comment

Mike,

I don't have that Batch number listed (G41) but I am building up a database from info such as yours, for which many thanks. G36 was a batch no for a DH6 aircraft, and these batches tended to run in groups of around ten, so it would seem that family history is correct.

Definitive data would have been stamped on the side of the hub, the curved surface, and I think I can see some in your first photo. Can you read it? Or post a close up?

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

DH 4 Prop

Hello Bob
          Many thanks for your reply.
          I had tried previously to get a photograph of the numbers on the side. They are faint and hard to see in any light. The only numbers and letters are the one's I had stated in my first posting. They are in a row without any discernable gaps.
          I am attaching some more photographs, but they aren't great I am afraid.
          I also attach a picture of the DH4 plane that he flew, as this confirms it had a 275HP RR Eagle engine when he was shot down. He may had managed to get one of the spare propellors, or it may actually be the one from his aircraft!
          Thanks
          Mike
          Attached Files

Comment

Sometimes when numbers are difficult to read, shining light from the side (even with a flashlight) can make them more discernable. I just recently bough a polarizing filter for one of my cameras and am anxious to play around with that to see if there's a technique to improve the readability of the stampings. It's always a problem being sure the numbers are correct.
            Dave

Comment

Hi Dave thanks for the tip. I have looked at it in several different lights and from different angles. it is indeed tricky!
              Thanks
              Mike

Comment

Working...
              X