Appraisal of an Early Flottorp propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appraisal of an Early Flottorp propeller

For the past 35 years I have owned a Flottorp propeller. It is roughly 100 inches long, has eight holes in the hub and has 1328 and SC 9 390 marked on the hub. It is in original condition (complete with the manufacturer's decals). It is made of a heavy wood (I am guessing it is oak) and it has brass or copper on the tips. It has small scratches on it but all things considered, it is in remarkable shape. I have attached a photo for your review.

I am considering selling it (though it doesn't make me happy).

I have searched the internet for information, and though I see much information about a number of different propellers, I haven't found a match for the one I have. If it is not too much trouble, I am hoping someone would offer their insight. Any idea what type of plane the propeller is from and more importantly, if I list it on an auction site, what should I ask for it?

Thank you so much for this consideration,
    Attached Files

That's a nice looking prop, and I suspect that it's one of the earlier Flottorp models, probably for an OX5 engine or possible a Hall Scott A7A. Can you post a close up of the decal, as the city it was manufactured in might be important.

Also, if you measure the hub dimensions it will help eliminate some possibilities for possible usage. The bolt hole circle diameter is important.
    Dave

Comment

Dimensions of propeller

Hello Dave,

I believe I have done this correctly... The center bore is 2 and 5/8 (2.625)inches as best I can measure. The bolt diameter is 3/8 (.325) of an inch. The bolt hole diamter (center to center is 5 and 1/4 inches (5.25)) and the hub is 4 inches thick. Based on the charts on the web page, I believe your first thought was correct, and the propellor was made for a Curtiss OX5. I have attached a photo of the decal.

It pains me to have to sell the propeller but I have been unemployed for a while and need to sell a few of my things...

Thank you again for all your help. It is very much appreciated.

David
      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, the Chicago location makes that an earlier Flottorp, I believe. At one time in the past I had contact with one of Ole Flottorp's great grand children who was interested in getting an early prop like that, but even though I still have the contact information from then, it's no longer valid. Too, bad because that's where props like this belong, in my opinion.

I might be interested in buying it, but to be fair, your best bet is to put it on eBay and let me bid along with everyone else. You might find two people who really want it and if they start bidding against each other you'll end up as well as you can expect any other way.

If you do that it's important to list it as "early wooden propeller" and in the description be sure to include OX5 sized hub, "original condition", and mention the original Chicago location decals. Post here as well if you do list it.

You might also be interested in this link, which describes Ole Flottorp's propeller factory in Chicago as early as 1915, although I don't think your prop is nearly that old. It would be interesting to know when the factory moved to Grand Rapids as that at least would establish a minimum age for your prop. I do know that much of the Flottorp history was apparently destroyed in a fire some time ago.
        Dave

Comment

Flottorp research

Thank you again for all your help. It is nice to work with a person who has integrity. I will try to do a bit more research and then decide how to proceed.

Comment

Hi,
            Originally posted by Dave View Post
            .../...
            You might also be interested in this link, which describes Ole Flottorp's propeller factory in Chicago as early as 1915, .../...
            Many thanks for this very interesting link ! (And also to gordy8 for his excellent decal picture !)
            Regards,
            PM

Comment

Flottorp for sale

Hello everyone,

Thank you (everyone)again for the help and the information. I spent the night thinking about it, and decided to list the propeller on Ebay. It is scheduled to run for auction at about 6:30 PM central time for anyone interested.

Sincere regards,
              David

Comment

Flottorp Propeller

Hi. I saw your posting and the Flottorp propeller listed on e-bay. I'm interested because Ole Flottorp was my grandfather (my mother's father). My mother is 90 years old and still living. Our family has quite a bit of historical information about Ole and his propellers. I'd be happy to try to provide answers to any questions you may have.

Comment

I would appreciate any historical information you may have which you would allow me to publish on my wooden prop website. Thank you. You may contact me at lamar3 at earthlink dot net.

Comment

Hello tlooman and thank you for the offer! I just wanted to tell you that the propeller your Grandfather made, is one of the coolest things I have ever owned! Do you have any idea what the numbers on it stand for (1328 and SC 9 390)? What do the small markings mean (the bird head in the box and the small four wheeled gear)? Was I correct in my findings that the propeller belongs to a JN-4D Jenny as pictured on the Centennial of Flight website? Though I can not be positive, the picture attached shows all the characteristics of the propeller on my wall.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The 1398 is likely just a serial number and the "SC" number is a Signal Corps serial number. I'm not sure what the "4 wheeled gear" looks like but it's probably a Signal Corps stamp. Does it have "U.S.A." stamped within the boundaries?

Again, you need to measure the diameter of the bolt hole circle, the circle on which the center of all of the bolt holes sit. If it's 6 inches it's likely for a Hall Scott engine and more likely for a Standard J1. If it's 5 1/4 inches it's more likely an OX5, which was used on a large number of different aircraft, but certainly the JN4D was one of the common ones.
                      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by tlooman View Post
                        Hi. I saw your posting and the Flottorp propeller listed on e-bay. I'm interested because Ole Flottorp was my grandfather (my mother's father). My mother is 90 years old and still living. Our family has quite a bit of historical information about Ole and his propellers. I'd be happy to try to provide answers to any questions you may have.
                        I had been in contact with another of Ole Flottorp's descendants years ago. I believe Steve Maghielse in Rockford, IL, was his name. He said that a number of Flottorp documents were lost in a fire, but he was interested in retrieving any that were left.

Does any of the information you have contain lists of drawing numbers and aircraft that used them? It would be very helpful to add that to our database.
                        Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X