Assistance ID'ng prop markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistance ID'ng prop markings

Hi there - I picked up my first prop 38 years ago when I was a teenager living on Cape Cod. I've always had an interest in trying to find out more info on it and have frequently looked on this site over the years. From the dimensions (8'6" length, 4" hub thickness, 5.25" bolt circle, etc.) it appears to be a Curtiss OX5. But I'm curious if there is any additional identification that could be realized from the hub markings and the history I received on it when I bought it? The woman I bought it from was the widow of a mechanic who worked at the Chatham Naval Air Station. He recounted to her that it had come from a plane that had landed on a beach in the area in 1918. The condition of the prop is original and unfinished (and will stay that way). There is a fracture on the backside that doesn't take away from the original lines and patina of the front. Any insight into the markings would be appreciated. Also curious of an estimated value as I have a need to get rid of some of the bigger items I've collected over the years.
    Thanks, TC
    Attached Files

What are the other markings on it? It's hard to know from the photos.

At first glance it looks as if it may be a later model prop for an OX5, used on aircraft like some WACOs, etc.
    Dave

Comment

Hi Dave - Thats the rub... there are no other markings on it other than the 6 digits you can barely see stamped under the hub. There is no decal or evidence of one ever being on the prop either. If I had to guess at the numbers that are stamped on there, I'd say "56?-167". I was hoping that perhaps a 6 digit stamp may tell me something more but perhaps not.
      Thanks,
      TC

Comment

Yeah, not much to go on with anything that we have for reference material. The fact that it doesn't have more "typical" early stampings certainly suggests that it was likely a 1920's/1930's model of an aircraft still using the outdated 0X5.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X