S&S prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S&S prop

I wanted to get some info. on a friends prop. It is a S&S Aircraft Limited Winnipeg prop 85" long and 4" wide at the hub. It has 8 bolt holes and JAN 1943 stamped on the side of the hub. It also has on one side of the blade SS_SS.220.D. and what looks like SIR.W.1559 on the other side. It is Not for sale as my friend just died of ALS and his wife would never sell it. Any info. you can give me on what plane it could be off of would be Great!

Thanks, Gary A.

I'm pretty sure that model is from and Avron Anson, but I'd have to double check some information I have at home to be sure. They are fairly common. S&S manufactured a lot of them just before the improved metal version came out and the supply quickly became obsolete. Most of them were never mounted on an aircraft.
    Dave

Comment

S&S prop info.

Dave,
      Thanks for the info. on the S&S propeller. It would have been nice to find out that it was very rare or worth a lot of money, but It will stay mounted on their wall just the same.

Gary

That's almost always the case, and frankly I'm happy to see them stay mounted on walls.

You will see this prop (and some made by other manufacturers) show up fairly frequently on eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary A. View Post
        Dave,
        Thanks for the info. on the S&S propeller. It would have been nice to find out that it was very rare or worth a lot of money, but It will stay mounted on their wall just the same.

Gary
        That's almost always the case, and frankly I'm happy to see them stay mounted on walls.

You will see this prop (and some identical ones made by other manufacturers) show up fairly frequently on eBay.
        Dave

Comment

S&S photo?

For Dave,
          Last week I was looking for some info. on an S&S prop. After talking to you, I went to the airliners.net web site and found some photos of early Avro 652A Anson. The props on them are definitely S&S, but the one we have tapers much more at the tip of the blade. Do you think it is just a little different style of prop or off some other plane? I tried to attach a photo, hopefully it worked

Gary A.
          Attached Files

Comment

Well, sometimes similar looking props were used on the same airplane, so you really can't go by that alone. Somewhere (from before I started this forum) I have emails saved from various people that might help piece together the S&S models and what they were used for. I'll try to dig those out. I'm not sure what's been lost along the way in various computer crashes, however.
            Dave

Comment

S&S info.

Dave,
              I do appreciate all your help, but I guess it doesn't really matter what the prop is off of. My friend Rick who's prop it was, died of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) Rick was a pilot and at one time or an other had a Stearman an AT-6 Texan, two Beech-18's and a DC-3. Any plane that was a Taildragger with a Radial Engine he Loved to fly. So I'm almost sure his S&S prop would be off of something like the Avro Anson or some other Taildragger.

Thanks again, Gary A.

Comment

Avro Anson Prop

Hello - I have a similar prop. Altho mine is 96" in length and has eight bolt holes and R.S.9.41 which I interpret to be Sept. 1941. It is a S & S Winnipeg with DES. 1242-b (or or (e). Any more info?
                The prop was left to me by my best friend whose deceased father was from Norther Ontario (ex RCAF) Cheers, Phil, Markham, Ontario

Comment

Avro prop

Phil,
                  I think my friends S&S prop was off an Avro Anson 652A. If you go to the www.airliners.net web site they have a lot of photos of Anson's, but I couldn't find one with the exact prop as the one I had. Maybe you will have better luck with your prop. I took my friends prop back to the house his wife and kids are living in now. I made a hub up for it to look like an early Avon Anson one and mounted it to thier wall. It turned out pretty good.

Gary A.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Guys

I don't think it's an Anson Prop and I have owned many
                    It looks more like a prop for a Fairchild Cornel of a Fleet 61r ( not the "b") that was powered by a Kinner B-5
                    If i can be confirmed as a Fleet prop. I would be interested a sI own one of these aircraft

Cam

Comment

Originally posted by Fleet16b View Post
                      Guys

I don't think it's an Anson Prop and I have owned many
                      It looks more like a prop for a Fairchild Cornel of a Fleet 61r ( not the "b") that was powered by a Kinner B-5
                      If i can be confirmed as a Fleet prop. I would be interested a sI own one of these aircraft

Cam
                      Hi Cam. I don't know how to confirm your hypothesis. The size + / - 96" may be one clue. It has dark patches on the rear - obviously to deter reflection on the spin. Give me a call at 905 4721 2201 - during the day if you are interested in pursuing this further. Cheers, Phil Grossmith retired RCMP

Comment

Fairchild Cornel

I think you're right about the S&S prop being off an Fairchild Cornel. I looked at a lot of Cornel photos on line and shape of almost all the props are the same as my friends S&S prop. Thanks for the info.

Gary A.

Comment

Prop - 1941

Hi All, it looks like Cornell - not Anson wins the day. Phil

Comment

Working...
                          X