Thread: Museums
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Bob Gardner

And of course there is another aspect. In the first part of the nineteenth century museums were of paramount importance. Collections of art, sculpture, furniture and Greco-Romano artefacts only existed in museums, where they could be seen, and in private collections, where they could not.

The internet has changed that. This forum of ours has become a museum in the sense that hundreds of interesting props have been described here with detailed photographs, which is wonderful for a researcher like me. Every WW1 prop described here is recorded in my database, which I plan to publish in CD form soon, the only one of its kind as far as I know. I'm also just starting the production of my series of books on German WW1 props and I guess that information on 20% of the props I describe comes from this forum.

And museums are also reacting to the internet. The RAF Museum, which I mentioned, and which damages some of its aircraft exhibits by over-restoring them, in my view, has also introduced on their website the marvellous system they call 'Navigator' where you can search for photographs of items in store and the descriptions thereof. They are adding photographs continously and already seem to have several thousand on line.

So, in conclusion, perhaps museums, research and possibly even the education of children and students might all in future only exist in virtual reality. And Dave or a fellow-forumite might consider putting every prop photo which has appeared here into a reference database, plus the 3000 or so photographs from my digital library. Then we might be the biggest prop museum in the world, in the virtual sense!

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote