View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #3
Mg Mark

Thank you, that's helpful. I hadn't considered the possibilty of a pusher application with regard to rotation. I can't see a close match to data on the linked page, although I see that the engines listed are not British so, by exception, that might suggest that it was made to fit a British engine?

I've contacted the seller of the hub; he saw it at a local antiques fair (Swansea, UK) and knew it was unusual, even though it was painted white all over (except as I found on removing the barometer in the hub mounting hole). He hoped that on removing the paint that he would find an old laminated wooden propeller, which of couse he did, and knew enough about propellers that it might be from the WW1 or the years intervening until WW2, when metal hubs with separately attached individual blades became the norm.

So, it was he that sanded the paint off - I don't know whether a previous owner long ago had sanded the original finish to paint it and taken the ID marks with when creating the flat section for it to sit level, or if the finish and marks were sanded away by the seller in removing the paint - either way, it not worth pursuing as the odd trace left is not decipherable now.

I'm not familiar with the details of the hub mounting for wooden propellers. I'm presuming that the open face of the hub mounting with the pronounced chamfered edge is the outer face of the propeller - is that correct? The other infilled face that I am assuming is the side mounted to the engine does not seem to have any chamfer to its edge (although I have not yet attempted to remove the infill piece to check).

Mark
Mg Mark is offline   Reply With Quote