View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 04:35 AM   #12
Bob Gardner

Bart,

Postscript; I see I didn't answer your question about the value of your prop. Your question is simple but the answer is complex. It has three different values, all of which I must emphasise are much less than the values of a WW1 propeller.

If you sold the prop at a conventional auction house (not eBay) in a sale of aeronautical items, it might make up to 900 (which is also $900 as the Euro and USD are at parity). With the auctioneer's charges deducted this would give you about 700. Conversely, if bought at auction, after the auctioneer's commission, it would cost 1130.

If you bought it from a dealer, such as I used to be, he too would pay 1130 at auction. Transport, conservation and repairs would typically cost 500, raising the dealer's costs to 1650. I usually sold at 30% mark up, giving a sale price of around 2200. But a dealer with premises in London or Amsterdam, with much greater running costs, would sell for double or triple this cost, say 5000. However, knowing that a civilian propeller from the 1920's would be difficult to sell, it is not likely that he would buy it in the first place.

Thus:
If you sold it at auction you might receive 700.
If you bought it at the same auction, 1130.
If your prop was stolen or destroyed, the insurance value would be the cost of buying something similar in good condition from a dealer, between 2200 and 5000.

(If you kept it for twelve years and sold it in 2027 when it was 100 years old, it might well make considerably more.)

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote