propeller ID help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propeller ID help

I am looking for info on a propeller that I have. The story is that it belonged to a great Uncle that used a bi plane to fly around South America for a Construction business back in probably the 1930's or 1940's. the propeller is right at 8' long and has 8 bolt holes on the hub I will try and post pics the only markings I can find are on the blade

DES.H-799-R.H.
    -NO.13796-

I have also attached pictures of what is left of decals that are on each blade

I appreciate any help

Thanks
    Attached Files

Hi,

The worn off decals indicate it is a Hamilton propeller.

The Hamilton Aero Manufacturing Company was founded in 1920 and merged (consolidated) with the Standard Steel Propeller Company in 1929 to form the well known Hamilton Standard Propeller Corporation. Your propeller dates from the 1920ies.

Unfortunately I have no information regarding the drawing number or the use of the propeller.

Comment

Thanks for the help this is more than we knew before

Mark

Comment

I have found pics of the plane that this propeller was used on they are from 1939. Does anyone have any ideas on what kind of plane this is? also about 20 years ago my Dad had tinkeritis and stripped the finish off of the prop and it has been hanging in the garage since, am I ok to put Linseed oil on it to try and protect it?

thanks for any insight

Mark
        Attached Files

Comment

browndogg you need to provide much better resolution images for IDing purposes. If you use a service such as 'photobucket' you can link large images and not be restricted by the forum's small image size.

Regards
          John

Comment

sorry, I thought those pics would turn out better, so here is my second try at it hope these are better. I am new to all this forum stuff so I appreciate your patience with me

Thanks

Mark
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mark,

The aircraft on the photos is a WACO GXE, previously known as the WACO model 10, which were built between 1927 and 1933. With a total of 1,623 built, it was one of the most successful WACO models.

The specific airframe was either built in 1928 or 1929, which is consistent with Hamilton being the propeller manufacturer.

Best Regards,

F.D.M

Comment

By the way...

The propeller shown on your photos is different from the one you have in your possession. It must have been replaced at some time, which is not unlikely looking at the rough 10 years between the taking/dating of the photos and the manufacturing of the aircraft.

However, it leaves reason for doubt. It all comes down to the truth of 'your' story whether the propeller can be linked/matched to the indicated aircraft.

Best Regards,

F.D.M

Comment

Hold on...

The second photo does show some decals being applied to the blades, which I cannot make out. Are those Hamilton decals like the ones on your propeller?

On the photos the propeller clearly lacks a spinner. It might be possible that the spinner has been retrofitted at a later stage. This put me off.

Best Regards,

F.D.M

Comment

ok let me show my ignorance what do you mean by spinner?

Comment

Working...
                    X