Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying Prop turned into a clock

Hello Everyone

I'm new to the forum, and was directed here being told that this was a great place to have this propeller identified.

This belonged to my grandfather and had a clock installed in it.
    Limited numbers stamped on the hub, but hope something will help.

Numbers on hub (see picture also);
    X15665
    AS109804

Dimensions;
    111 inches long
    Hub is 5 1/2 inches thick
    8 layers of wood
    8 lug holes
    3 inch center hole for shaft
    9 1/2 inches wide at widest part
    metal is 24 1/2 inches each end front and back

Thanks
    Attached Files

Well, I have to say that this RARELY happens, but that number appears on an obscure list I have from McCook Field in 1921 listing various propellers used in the U.S. There were a number of foreign aircraft shipped to the U.S. and flown at McCook field after WW1. See the attached list. About halfway down you'll see the drawing number "X15665" listed for a Fokker DVII with the Mercedes engine, and I think the length of yours also matches.

The stampings are not typical of German stampings and it's almost certain that your propeller was manufactured in the U.S. for use on a German aircraft flown here after the war. It almost certainly has been refinished at some point, based on the surface appearance in the photos.
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow. Good find. Thanks for looking that up.
      Now that you mention it, I think I remember my grandfather talking about working at McCook field before moving over to Wright-Patterson AFB, so that fits

Comment

Working...
      X