Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Prop id?

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help ID the very large propeller we have at the Bournemouth Aviation Museum. It was always stated it was a Zeppelin prop, but I don't think anyone really believed that. Recently the prop has been removed from its previous location on a roof outside (!) and is currently sat in our engine area.

Now it is on the ground its size has become very apparent; It is 24 feet tip to tip (and apparently some time in the past it was longer - something happened to it but I have no further information) distance across the centre hub is around 2 feet.

There are no markings at all - I've attached some photos - One of the jet engines in the background is a Rolls Royce Avon, which gives you an idea how big this is!

Possibly from a wind tunnel?

Many thanks

Bryan
    Attached Files

Hi,

Could you send me (pmdecombeix at yahoo dot com) some "very large" and clear pics of the four sides of the hub ? If the central hole on the side not shown on the pics is not "flared", it is probably a pusher prop, and then perhaps for dirigible.
    The shape is very like Ratmanoff propellers, except for the "bumps" of the blade feet.

Regards,
    PM

Pic of a dirigible with Ratmanoff props :
    Attached Files

Comment

Airship is probably the most likely, but it's going to be very difficult to know much detail about it without any stampings on it.

Comment

Originally posted by pmdec View Post
        Hi,

Could you send me (pmdecombeix at yahoo dot com) some "very large" and clear pics of the four sides of the hub ? If the central hole on the side not shown on the pics is not "flared", it is probably a pusher prop, and then perhaps for dirigible.
        The shape is very like Ratmanoff propellers, except for the "bumps" of the blade feet.

Regards,
        PM

Pic of a dirigible with Ratmanoff props :
        Hi, I have emailed some large pictures - I'll need to take some more as I don't have a photo of the other side yet..

Thanks

Bryan

Comment

Working...
        X