Gene Major?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Major?

I have a wooden propeller I purchased today and cant seem to find much on it. Other than all of the numbers for details, it says GENE MAJOR. It looks like it may say GENE T MAJOR but there is a scratch where the T would be.

Is that a company? Is it even old? Or is it maybe the name of someone?

Yep. It's Genet Major. There should be other numbers which may help identify it. See this list, as there are probably hundreds of possibilities.

Comment

thanks! Im still clueless though as those numbers mean nothing to me.

Mine says:
      V690/1
      GENET MAJOR
      R 3/AV/
      DIA 6.25ft
      PITCH 4.CFT
      31 I 30

How do i find out the value on something like this? Does anyone have any clue what Genet Majors run for currently?

Comment

I think the letter is "Y" not "V". Go to think referenced above and look at the specs for Y690. I'm not sure what the parenthetical "1" means, but I suspect the aircraft listed next to that number are all possibilities, and perhaps the "AV" refers to Avian.

The diameter is the length from tip to tip(6.25 ft) and the pitch is the theoretical distance it would move forward in a single revolution (4.0 ft).

As to value, see this page. It could be nearly worthless or worth hundreds of dollars, but I doubt that it is particularly rare.

Comment

Thanks! It looks like its probably a Avro V, which I have no idea what that means and am not even sure if it is that model, but if its not clear by my questions I know NOTHING about props and really just want to sell it. My fear is to put it at $200 when its worth 2k or vice versa. The value link you posted is helpful although no Genet Majors are on it and they are from the year 2011-2012 when I imagine the market was much higher. I havent found anything on ebay as well as taking it to a generic antique appraiser that knows as much as me...

So is there any other way for me to find out a value of this or is it just a guessing game?

Comment

It's a guessing game. Bob Gardner posts here often and he can give you the best guess I would know of, but without pictures or some reliable indication of condition (beyond vague "great" or "fabulous", etc.) no one can place a reliable value on something like this. It needs to be inspected to make that determination, but that can be done fairly reliably with photos.

Comment

Working...
            X