• Show
Clear All

• packman
    replied
    Thanks Dave

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    Personally, I would rub it with linseed oil, let it dry, repeat the process, let it dry again and then wax it with a high quality beeswax.

There's is no right answer to this question, IMHO, but we all agree that you shouldn't remove anything that's already there. I like linseed oil because it penetrates and deepens the wood grain, then wax just helps protect it and perhaps adds a little shine. Some people prefer just wax, and there is some reasonable argument that shellac (which was the original coating on many early propellers) is the preferred coating for preservation puposes.

Leave a comment:

• packman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• packman
    replied
    Thanks guys

I'm from New York Long Island.
    I bought this propeller from my friend in antique store and he's got from
    auction in Pennsylvania.
    Dave you are correct,distance between the centers of two bolt holes directly across the hub from each other is 5 1/4 inches.
    I would like to hang this propeller in my room,but need to ask:
    What should i use to protect the wood?
    Can i use the LEMON OIL or some kind of WAX ?

Best Regards
    John

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gardner
    replied
    Bonjour Pierre-Michel,

Contradictions are most welcome. I learn a great deal from this marvellous web site. And my thoughts were tentative, with double use of the word might!

With kind regards,

Bob

Leave a comment:

• pmdec
    replied
    Hi,

Sorry to contradict you, Bob, but I don't think it can be an early Levasseur:
    - wood seems to be elm, but for sure it is not walnut nor mahogany, as are all known Levasseur before 1916,
    - on 5th pic, two laminations are clearly made of two parts, with a lap joint "in whistle" (not sure of the English word, see this pic: http://www.bois.com/media/202671/360...t-sifflet2.jpg ). This kind of joint was not used in France before 1915 for laminated propellers,
    - leading edge seems to be the convex one. Levasseur with this kind of shape have their leading edge concave: this is very specific. (But I may have a "mislook" of the pics),
    - there is no known Levasseur without markings, and documented Levasseur props from 1911 to 1913 do have a serial and a prop number (smaller known number is "10").

Regards,
    PM

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    It certainly looks similar to this propeller, which was produced by the American Propeller Manufacturing Company (Paragon) in fairly large numbers. It's possible that yours was one used in "whirling tests" and was damaged in the testing process.

Measure the distance between the CENTERS of two bolt holes directly across the hub from each other. If that distance is 5 1/4 inches, then there's a high probability that it was designed for use on an OX5 engine.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gardner
    replied
    Hi John,

Where do you live?

If in GB (or its derivatives like Australia, NZ etc) the prop might be an example of a Levasseur prop used in 1912 by Vickers on their Monoplane, shown below.

If in the States, it might be an early scimitar prop.

It is a most interesting early prop.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• packman
    started a topic Need help with early propeller

Need help with early propeller

Hi guys
    Can anyone help me to identify this early propeller.
    It is in untouched condition,there is no marking or any stamping.
    The length from tip to tip is around 95",but originally should
    be around 105",because on the right side missing one section of the wood.

Thanks
    Regards John
    Attached Files
Working...
X